Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Roles Reversed

The gang has split for a few months. Bonnie is in Morocco, Anthony and Jamey are soaking up rays in Goa, and I am back in Sirsa with Cub. This time I am staying with his family whom happens to share a wall with Harpal’s family. The family of 5 consists of Cub, Harpal’s nephew, Jolly, his younger brother of 27 years old, his wife, Jagdeep, his parents, Amrith and Richhpal, two dogs and two bitches (used in the technical sense). Immediately I was welcomed back and invited to sit for lunch. They have kitchen help, so I was not asked or even welcomed to help prepare lunch. A nice change, I thought.

After lunch, Cub tended to some farm work and I was left to watch bad reruns and play on the painfully slow internet. Sadly, I was anxious to help in the kitchen so when I went there looking for Amrith, I found her watching her Indian soaps and Richhpal in another room watching BBC news on his widescreen. All I could think about what how when I was at the other farm, just a few yards away, Harpal had said that Surinder watched too much television meanwhile all we did was cook and make tea all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment