Thursday, January 15, 2009

Happy Lorhi

Chandigarh Rose Garden

We are in Chandigarh, the Punjab and Haryana capital 4 hours north of Delhi. The air is cool and filled with rhythmic drumming that bounces off the side of the building. It is the beginning of the holy festival Lorhi – celebrated throughout Punjab by both Hindus and Sikhs. Families and friends gather around fires and offer sweets to the fire.

A woman, Auntie, comes in the morning and evening to prepare meals for us and to clean the dishes. We have high-speed Internet, movie channels and a market where you can get fresh juice or tantalizing sweets for pennies within shouting distance. Our hosts are extremely accommodating and have even given up their own beds for our convenience. This morning I got up with Cub, rode my bike 5 km to the lake, and ran 10 km underneath fragrant cherry blossom trees. This is all wonderful, but I am feeling an urge to get back on my bike or get on a train to see more of this country.

For the past few nights Cub has taken me out to get chocolate. We frequent this one bakery and choose 2 – 3 cakes and a brownie and then get coffees and the nearby shop. It’s like going on a date every night. The night before we left, I was surprised with 2 beautifully made suits from Cub. I feel like a princess.

No comments:

Post a Comment